Around 1850 Alexander and Margaret Gillies Mills built their home on Highland Lake, north of the lake’s “little finger.” The home was added on to and at some point became a boarding house.
(The Mills children—Martha Myers, Margaret Boyd, Mary Wait, George Mills, and Christina Wilson who died in 1895—all play a part in the story.)
In 1900 (the year Alexander died) George and Elizabeth Gillespie Mills ran the boarding house. George Mills was also a farmer.
George and Elizabeth Mills’ children in 1900: Belle, James G., Agnes, and baby Alexander.
Little Alexander would one day be the proprietor of the Spring House in Barryville. The Spring House was originally owned by George Layman. It belonged to Chris and Meta Meyer by 1910. Alexander Mills would marry their daughter Minnie Meyer.