In 1898 the last boat moved over the waterway [of the Roebling Aqueduct] and the following year the physical plant of the system was liquidated.
Of the four suspension aqueducts that Roebling designed as part of the major enlargement operation, only the Delaware had any apparent adaptive usefulness. The spans over the Lackawaxen, Neversink, and Roundout were all simply abandoned and eventually demolished.
The Delaware Aqueduct was purchased privately and converted into a highway bridge. The tow paths were sawn off, a low railing was run along the downstream side of the trunk floor to provide a separated pedestrian walk, a toll house was built at the New York end, and some grading was done at each end for accommodation to the existing roads…
The first private owner was Charles Spruks, a Scranton lumber dealer, who specialized in the heavy timbers used as supports in the area’s coal mines. His principal timber lands being in Sullivan County, N.Y., he purchased the aqueduct primarily to afford a simple means of getting the logs across the Delaware to the railroad in Lackawaxen. The collection of tolls from common road traffic was actually a side line.—From Edward H. Huber, Scranton; Roebling Bridge, HAER No. PA-1, 52, LACK; page 7.