In late 1824, Garrett Wilson and three other men purchased Shohola Lumber property in Shohola, Pennsylvania, across from what was then called the River Settlement, now Barryville.
Mr. Wilson became the sole manager, and the company was
“…constantly engaged in cutting logs, drawing and placing them in the Shohola Brook where they lay until the water of the brook became sufficient to float them to the mill pond.
“That was the process by which all the timber of the large tract was made to reach the mill—logs cut and drawn by the teams to the nearest point of the brook and there deposited, either in the water or upon the immediate shore.
“…[Mr. Wilson] with 12 or 15 men, mechanics and laborers, removed the old saw mill, erected a new and larger mill with two saw gates, renewed and raised the dam increasing the water power…”—Johnston, Reminiscences p. 305, 7
“Lumbering was the only business of the section, cutting and drawing logs, sawing and hauling boards, rafting and running lumber down the stream…”
—Johnston, Reminiscences, p. 293