Partially because of the cholera epidemic in New York City, in 1832, Felix Kyte and his family sought a new location and by the end of the year were living in Lumberland.
Cholera must also have been in Lumberland as Almira Austin Hooker (sister to my great-great-grandfather Ralph Austin) and her son died from Cholera in August of 1832.
Cholera, also called Asiatic Cholera, is caused by a bacteria. It is an infectious gastroenteritis transmitted to humans through contaminated food or water.
Cholera was originally found in India. The disease spread by both land and sea trade routes to Russia, then Western Europe, and on to North America.
John Snow (1813-1858), a physician and self-trained scientist, found the link between cholera and contaminated drinking water in 1854.—wikipedia
1832 Preventatives of Cholera!
Be Temperate in eating and drinking.
Avoid Raw Vegetables and Unripe Fruit!
Abstain from COLD WATER, when heated, and above all from Ardent Spirits, and if habit have rendered them indispensable, take much less than usual.
—1832 Hand bill from the New York City Board of Health